|Articles - Tampa Bay News|
Kelly Cornelius is a community activist and is with R-Land (Rural Lithia Area Neighborhood Defense). Thought many of you would be interested in this! It's Kelly' s Top 10 budget items we could live without! Thanks to Rosemarie Middleton for sending this item in.
This is the first year I have really followed the county budget. While I have a lot of concerns about how politicians spend tax dollars I narrowed it down to the top ten for Thursday night’s final budget hearing. This is the message I delivered to the
10. $500,000 to study a rural section of Lithia Pinecrest which was not actually on any plans to be widened.
9. Cost of Pat Bean’s double-digit clandestine raises to some of her faves without your knowledge, including one employee without a college degree pulling in six figures.
8. Pat Bean’s raise to herself without your knowledge
7. The 300 hours it took the Internal Performance Auditor to find out about #8 (how much did that cost us per hour and can’t we find somebody more efficient to expose the county’s skeletons?) We don’t have the closet space to hide them all anymore; they shouldn’t take 300 hours to uncover.
6. Cost to taxpayers to have Pat Frank tell you that the Planning Commission should do Community Plans. We elected YOU for these types of decisions, but if you are not fit to make them, then by all means please have Ms. Frank run the entire county. But stop paying yourselves if you ask her to do your job.
5. $105,000 for speed bump debacle (again needing an outside arbitrator). If you guys can’t make a decision on speed bumps, then please refrain from making any real land use decisions in the future. If you can’t decide where speed bumps should go, you really shouldn’t be trusted to decide where entire subdivisions go!
4. $750,000 to the Sports Authority $700,000 to the Sports Commission.
3. You only charge developers 12% of the legal limit for impact fees for roads and then have the nerve to ask us to tax ourselves for road widenings as a part of the upcoming transit referendum. Unbelievable.
2. Chambers of Commerce………… WHY Are they getting their commerce from tax money? $546,000
Last Updated (Wednesday, 07 October 2009 22:33)